Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Rework

So I read the book Rework and it's really got me thinking about starting my own business, even if it's just on the side as a hobby of sorts.  However, I'm not quite sure of the right way to go about it.  I thought at first that I could come up with some kind of small business web-design company with some of my friends, but I don't really think that's going to work.  For one, I don't think, when I really got down to talking about it, that that task seems really all that interesting or challenging or at the very least rewarding, and I guess that's kind of the idea behind going off on your own.

Then I thought I'd be able to make some kind of snazzy application that would save the world, or like some Android app that would set the world on fire, but you know, I don't know any of those coding languages (yet?) so that's kind of a speed bump.  So I guess until I come up with a better idea that involves things I do know how to do, I'm back to my old fall back: food.  Caitlin thinks I should buy a food truck and sit outside her work at breakfast and lunch and apparently I'd make a ton of money because their cafeteria sucks.  I've also always wanted to open my own restaurant, even something as simple as a little diner or cafe.  But of course, either of those two things require some serious up front money (or at the very least good credit to take out a loan) which I don't really have or want to use if I did.

Maybe I can somehow get work as a shopping helper, since I seem to be plenty good at that (right Gina and Angelina?).  I can listen to what people want, do research for an hour and come back with one or two things at the right price that're going to be the best product for them.  However, I suppose it's hard to get paid for that.  What do I post craigslist ads?  Go work at Best Buy again? Simply wait for word of mouth from my Mom to all her friends who don't understand technology enough to figure it out on their own?  Even I have to admit it's pretty crappy to charge them for that.  I guess I'm back to the drawing board.  I mean I love my job, but everyone wants to have a job that they really enjoy, that is challenging and/or interesting, and being your own boss would really be nice.  Hopefully inspiration will strike me and I'll come up with some great thing. . . who knows, maybe it's this blog?

No comments:

Post a Comment